Energy Saving Tips
Cavity Wall Insulation
Install cavity wall insulation. If you have a typical house with cavity walls, you could save up to £160 per year in heating bills just from insulating the walls. It only takes a matter of hours to install. Your home will feel much warmer and condensation will be minimized.
By insulating your loft you could save approximately £140 on your fuel bills (semi-detached house) by installing 270mm of loft insulation for uninsulated lofts.
- Switch off appliances (at the plug) that are not in use and save approximately £30 a year.
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs will last up to ten times longer than an ordinary standard light bulb.
- You could save approximately £45 a year by switching to energy saving light bulbs.
- Use lids on saucepans. Food will not only cook quicker but will save money on your cooking fuel.
- Only boil the amount of water that you need when making a cup of tea.
Heating & Hot Water
- Turn Your Thermostat Down by 1°C you could save between £80 and £85.
- Fit a hot water tank jacket to your hot water cylinder. This will keep your water hotter for longer.
- Installing a new A rated condensing boiler you could save approximately £340 a year.
- Set your timer to heat your property only when you need it.
- Reducing showering time to 4 minutes could save a family of four up to £80 a year.
- When Using Your Washing Machine, always wash with a full load or if available use a half load programme for smaller loads.
- Wash your clothes at 30°C.
- Hang out your clothes to dry in warm weather.
- Close the Curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping through the windows.
- Insulate hot pipes to keep hot water hot.
Source: Energy Saving Trust